Rustic is a word that is used to describe a very broad range of styles which incorporate the rich tones and textures found in nature. In fact, so broad is the scope of definition that the rustic theme overlaps with other trends including boho and southwestern styled weddings which can cause some confusion.
Rustic can be defined as "relating to the countryside; rural" though the modern rustic wedding theme will often also incorporate vintage items and a whimsical tone.
These are 7 of the best rustic wedding trends that we are loving for 2018 and beyond:
2. Source a vintage frame or two to hang printable signs for your guests to read. Printable "Our Love Story" sign via The Printable Shop.
3. Dark, rich timbers for warmth mixed with fairy lights for a whimsical feel.
Photo via Claire Penn.
4. Semi-naked wedding cakes are a classic addition; you can style with berries, native florals or eucalyptus greenery.
Via Chic Vintage Brides.
We love this vibrant bunch via Love Find Co.
The term "native" refers to the aesthetic style of the hardy floral arrangement more than the location of their origin. Proteas are technically native to South Africa but match perfectly with Australian eucalyptus leaves and both are considered "natives".
6. It's all in the details when it comes to a rustic wedding dress. Match sequin or gem details with a botanical crown just like this rustic bride via Oh Best Day Ever.
7. Print your save the dates and invites onto white or kraft card stock, both of which are classic rustic options, just like this example via The Printable Shop.
Don't be afraid to add some moody colours like this navy and burgundy floral invite set via The Printable Shop!
The rustic wedding theme has evolved a lot over time while incorporating those core natural textures with whimsical vibes. When we look back on the rustic weddings of yesteryear it can be easy to cringe. In fact, Etsy has recently stated that the burlap trend is over and we couldn't agree more - the modern rustic themed wedding has moved on to bigger and better things in our humble opinion.