Rustic is a word that is used to describe a very broad range of styles which incorporate the rich tones and textures found in nature. In fact, so broad is the scope of definition that the rustic theme overlaps with other trends including boho and southwestern styled weddings which can cause some confusion.
Rustic can be defined as "relating to the countryside; rural" though the modern rustic wedding theme will often also incorporate vintage items and a whimsical tone.
The rustic wedding theme has evolved a lot over time while incorporating those core natural textures with whimsical vibes. When we look back on the rustic weddings of yesteryear it can be easy to cringe. In fact, Etsy has recently stated that the burlap trend is over and we couldn't agree more; the modern rustic themed wedding has moved on to bigger and better things in our humble opinion.
These are 7 of the best rustic wedding trends that we are loving for 2018 and beyond.
1. Embrace nature with a mix of greenery and raw, neutral tones.
Photo via Style Me Pretty.
2. The perfect rustic dress is flowy and elegant and usually incorporates lace in a modern way.
3. Native florals are a necessity in our book as a prominent feature. We can't imagine a rustic wedding without them. Scatter them throughout your venue in little vases, hang bunches, lay branches on the tables, the styling options are endless!
Photo via Hello May.
4. Invitations don't have to break the bank, but they do have to look good. We love keeping it simple and chic with a classic black script like our printable wedding invitation below.
5. Semi-naked wedding cakes are a classic addition; you can style with berries, native florals or eucalyptus greenery.
Photo (taken at our DIY wedding!) via She Said Yes Photography.
6. Vintage candlesticks have that old world charm and add ambience to the room with romantic dim lighting.
Photo via Bridal Musings.
7. Rustic weddings have a relaxed 'just thrown together' vibe which lends itself to DIY elements. Utilise your unique skills as a couple and throw your personality in there. Visit your local op shop for some rustic wooden frames. Connect with your inner DIY warrior goddess. You've got this.
Photo via Noelle Johnson Photography.