According to Etsy, the Southwestern theme is one of the big trends to watch in 2018. As the name suggests, this trend has its origins in the Southwest of the USA where cactus country provides the backdrop for a bohemian lifestyle. This aesthetic features an eclectic mix of vibrant colours, mismatched floral elements and natural textures.
Here are 7 of our favourite Southwestern elements that can be added to your Southwestern, Rustic or Boho wedding:
1. Drape serape throws over something, like the chairs in this gorgeous Joshua Tree wedding featured by Inspired By This.
2. Pampas grass might just take your wedding botanicals to the next level and can be used in an assortment of ways. Via Bridal Musings.
3. It isn't a southwestern wedding without succulents and bright florals. This pic via Hey Wedding Lady.
4. Add some geometric elements in for a modern touch, like this super funky triangular altar by Junebug Weddings.
5. Antlers and skulls are often incorporated into Southwest weddings; it's not for everybody but it can look awesome when done well like this wedding featured on Burnett's Boards.
6. Feathers can be incorporated into the bridal bouquet or into other decor pieces. Pheasant feathers in a horn wall hanging is very Southwestern, via Lone Star.
7. You are going to want to announce your wedding in style with some succulent wedding invites, like these geometric invites by The Printable Shop.
You don't need to be in the desert or fully commit to one particular trend to allow yourself to be influenced by the Southwest; incorporate the Southwestern wedding theme into your wedding no matter the location - take the aisle runner in this snowy mountain wedding featured by Style Me Pretty for example!
While the Southwestern style can incorporate pieces used in similar styles such as the boho and rustic styles (native florals, natural textures), it will always be centred around a Southwest US desert aesthetic with a weathered facade, vibrant colours and plenty of succulents.